Equity & Inclusion Committee
The Equity & Inclusion Committee is an ad hoc body established intended to help improve culture and community in the department. It was charged by Sociology Chair Jeff Lucas on August 7, 2020, and has the following responsibilities:
- Gather qualitative data from all department constituents (undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and staff) on concerns related to equity and inclusion. The focus of this gathering is not to investigate or adjudicate particular claims or complaints against specific individuals, but rather to assess campus climate and identify issues that should be addressed locally or with relevant campus partners.
- Identify initiatives and decisions that the department has already agreed to but has yet to implement. In particular, please review decisions made in Departmental Meetings over the past several years.
- Develop recommendations for concrete steps that the department can take to improve climate. Please consider both steps to address immediate concerns and those that can build a more responsive and active relationship between the department’s leadership and students, faculty, and staff.
- Consider and develop additional recommendations on actions beyond the scope of this charge that the committee feels are relevant and within its general purview.
- Consider and develop recommendations on the future of the Equity & Inclusion Committee. In particular, consider whether it should be codified as a standing departmental committee. Please also consider any additional recommendations on other adjustments to the department’s administrative and/or governance structure that may be valuable.
The committee's membership and contact information for each member is listed below. You may contact the entire committee using socy-equity [at] umd.edu.
|Jasmón Bailey||Professional Track Faculty||jbailey7 [at] umd.edu|
|Long Doan||Assistant Professor||longdoan [at] umd.edu|
|Kelsey Drotning||Graduate Student||kdrotnin [at] terpmail.umd.edu|
|Angelica Loblack||Graduate Student||aloblack [at] umd.edu|
|Mini Rajan||Staff||mrajan [at] umd.edu|
|Wayne Santoro||Associate Professor||wsantoro [at] umd.edu|
|Liana Sayer (Chair)||Full Professor||lsayer [at] umd.edu|
|Mya Thomas||Undergraduate Student||mthomas9 [at] terpmail.umd.edu|