My areas of specialization include demography, development, life course research, and social determinants of health. I have been deeply involved with the India Human Development Survey (www.ihds.umd.edu) and have helped in the development of questionnaires as well as data collection. In collaboration with Dr. Reeve Vanneman and Dr. Sonalde Desai, I has developed a series of papers that explore the possible pathways that mediate the relationship between maternal education and various child health outcomes. Along with Dr. Feinian Chen and others, I have evaluated the health implications of marriage separation by migration in China and the impact of maternal employment on cognitive development of children in India. My dissertation looks at the role of contextual factors impacting childhood malnutrition in India.
- Life Course
- Social Determinants of Health
- Maternal and Child Health
- BA Psychology and Sociology, St. Xavier's College, Mumbai.
- MA Family and Child Welfare, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai.
- MA Sociology, University of Maryland.
Department of Sociology