Academic advising is an essential part of an undergraduate’s educational experience. Students can expect advising to help them:
- Better understand the purposes for attending the university;
- Develop insights about personal behaviors that promote improved adjustment to the campus setting;
- Increase their awareness of academic programs and course offerings at the University of Maryland;
- Explore opportunities both inside and outside the classroom for intellectual and cultural development;
- Acquire decision-making skills that can accelerate academic and career planning;
- Realistically evaluate their academic progress and its relationships to successful planning; and
- Understand the relationship between academic success and planning skills
It is recommended that students meet with an advisor at least once a semester prior to registration. Students should also meet with an academic advisor:
- To develop their Four Year Academic Plan. This plan must be completed and filed with the College during the major change process or during your first semester. Academic Plan workshops are offered regularly by BSOS and can be scheduled in person or online at bsosworkshops.umd.edu
- To complete a Junior Audit, which takes place with department and college advisors in the second semester of the junior year provides this check, particularly for non-departmental requirements.
- To complete a Senior Audit - If a student does not complete a Junior Audit, a Senior Audit by 90 credits is mandatory. This auditing process allows the student to identify any requirements they may be missing or any other problems, in time to make adjustments.
- If they have been dismissed from the university or are on academic probation (advising is mandatory).
Undergraduate Advising available by appointment:
Sociology Undergraduate Advising Office
Dr. Nicole Cousin-Gossett- Undergraduate Director
Nicole DeLoatch- Academic Advisor
2108 Parren J. Mitchell Art/Sociology Building
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
(Phone inquiries welcome)
Walk-in Hours: varied, please call
The College of Behavioral & Social Sciences Advising Center
2148 Tydings Hall
Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-noon, 1-5 p.m.
(Phone inquiries welcome 12-1 p.m.)
Walk-In Hours: varied, please call