Academic advising is an essential part of an undergraduate’s educational experience. Students can expect advising to help them:
- Better understand the purposes for attending the university;
- Develop insights about personal behaviors that promote improved adjustment to the campus setting;
- Increase their awareness of academic programs and course offerings at the University of Maryland;
- Explore opportunities both inside and outside the classroom for intellectual and cultural development;
- Acquire decision-making skills that can accelerate academic and career planning;
- Realistically evaluate their academic progress and its relationships to successful planning; and
- Understand the relationship between academic success and planning skills
While advising is not mandatory, it is recommended that students meet with an advisor at least once a semester prior to registration. Students should also meet with an academic advisor:
- To develop their Four Year Academic Plan. This plan must be completed and filed with the College before declaring SOCY as a major. Academic Plan workshops are offered regularly by BSOS.
- To complete a Junior Audit, which takes place with department and college advisors in the second semester of the junior year provides this check, particularly for non-departmental requirements.
- To complete a Senior Audit - If a student does not complete a Junior Audit, a Senior Audit by 90 credits is mandatory. This auditing process allows the student to identify any requirements they may be missing or any other problems, in time to make adjustments.
- If they have been dismissed from the university or are on academic probation (advising is mandatory).
Undergraduate Advising available by appointment:
Sociology Undergraduate Advising Office
2108 Art/Sociology Building
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
(Phone inquiries welcome)
Walk-in Hours: varied, please call
The College of Behavioral & Social Sciences Advising Center
2148 Tydings Hall
Hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-noon, 1-5 p.m.
(Phone inquiries welcome 12-1 p.m.)
Walk-In Hours: varied, please call